Monday, April 9, 2012

What to Do With Those Easter Leftovers

Ham, one of our choice meats for Easter dinner, is one of the most versatile meats to use in leftovers.  Not only does it make wonderful ham sandwiches, but it can be cubed and frozen for future dishes including scalloped potatoes, casseroles, ham and cheese omlets and, of course,  cool spring dinners. 

Recently, I made an old fashioned pot of ham and beans with a unique twist.  My inspiration was the desire to use my new cast iron, enamel clad pot that I have oogled for the longest time and received for Christmas from my in-laws. 



There is nothing quite like a good ole' heavy pot of ham and beans simmering on the stove, or if you are lucky enough to have a wood burning stove, all day.  Add to this recipe a wonderful cornbread (our favorite recipe, www.theonlinerecipebox.com/eggless-cornbread/--  I add to a smokin' hot cast iron pan with a few bacon drippings in the bottom, then stick in the oven) and some sort of veggie and you have the makings of a great, old fashioned and easy meal!  Enjoy!

Chipotle Pinto Beans (from Simply in Season Cookbook, pg 305)

1 pound dried pinto beans
Soak overnight, Drain.  Add fresh water to cover beans.  Cover and bring to a boil.  Simmer, covered, 10 min.  (I used piquinto beans which are small and skipped the soak overnight step.)

2 cup tomatoes (or 1 can stewed toms)
1 cup chopped onion
1 T. garlic chopped
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 whole chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (do not taste supper hot)
1 ham bone

Add all to beans and bring to a boil.  Remove pepper and reserve. Lower heat and simmer until beans are tender, stirring frequently and adding water if necessary to prevent scorching. 

Notes:  I tried the tiniest bit of the adobo sauce since it was a  new product to me.  I about died of heat and gulped several glasses of cold milk to cut the searing pain.  Cooking time for me was about 3-4 hours and much of the water cooked out leaving a nice thick "broth".  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment